Thursday, October 13, 2022

 Madurai is synonymous with Meenakshi amma. Shri Meenakshi Sundareshwarar Temple is a historic temple located on the southern bank of the Vaigai River.

The goddess Meenakshi amma is worshipped as a form of Parvati, and her consort, Sundareshwarar, is a form of Shiva.
This temple is one of the Paadal Petra Sthalams. The Paadal Petra sthalams are 275 temples of lord Shiva that are revered in the verses of Tamil Saiva Nayanars of the 6th-9th century CE. While walking inside the mammoth temple I felt like a queen. The sculpted pillars, the big hallways, the pond in between, it is royal picturesque and divine at the same time.
An experience to live with till the last breath of life. 🙏
The temple exterior too is a dramatic sight, its gopuram crowded with multicoloured sculptures of angels and demons, a magnificent view from a far distance. It was constructed over 5 centuries, from the 13th century to the 18th century.
Apart from the mythological stories, Madurai was introduced to me by the Telugu movie Arjun, released in 2004. Ever since I saw the film, I was provoked to visit the temple, but I wasn't sure how it would happen, who would take me, or will I ever go.
A chance visit to Madurai Arvind eye hospital allowed me to get ammas darshan on one evening after work.
I was so mesmerised by the temple and its setting that the following day I woke up early to go and get the darshan of mother goddess once again.
A lot happened during my Madurai stay of 4 days, culminating in some new decisions and embarking on a new journey. Madurai is special to me for personal family reasons too, but I never planned to revisit the city anytime soon after my 2015 visit; I thought it was only once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
It is time that takes us to places, primarily to unplanned beautiful destinations.
As they rightly say, man can ask for small things, but God is limitless and boundless when he gives.
When you love Meenakshi amma, when you have faith in her, she will beckon you at her doorstep to give and take darshan. 🙏
So the take-home lesson to me is don't ask. Always accept whatever comes your way.
May be an image of 1 person, standing, outdoors and temple
Rahul Reddy, Jayalaxmi Takkala and 211 others
27 Comments
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment