Thursday, March 7, 2019

8th nova 2016.

8th nova 2016.
I was back from Hyderabad on 6th November after giving my astrology masters 2nd year exams. Was relaxed as I submitted the research paper, the viva went very well. I invested a lot of time and energy into it. The son went back to the college after diwali break with his quota of money for 2 months. (all Rs. 500 notes)
it was a Tuesday and it was around 8pm I was in the office, looking into the accounts details looking at the due payments, usually we get done with our monthly liabilities in the first week itself, but this month it got delayed as I was out of siliguri . The cash was all ready, I would have disbursed the payments the next day, the house construction too was in progress, and so I accumulated enough cash to pay the laborers and the suppliers also.
With a happy heart, that I have enough fund to meet all the upcoming needs I closed the accounts book.
8 pm we shut the centre, the back office work takes another 10 minutes and then I leave for home. It's my routine. I was gathering the lunch box, the coffee flask and as always the TV was fixed on a news channel. I locked the cupboard, called the man in his room on the intercom and told him that I was leaving. He said he too is almost done, and is going to follow me shortly.
I was about to switch off the TV, but the anchor abruptly made an announcement that the PM is going to address the nation, and then they take an ad break.
I sensed something wrong...
my first assumption was maybe he is going to declare a full fledged war on Pakistan. And I started panicking.
We have seen so many Hollywood movies where people make cellars in their homes, where they store supplies and go hiding in crisis/when in danger. I did not plan any such space in the new house. I should have anticipated all this and designed a home, at least created some secret space In the house which even rebels cannot locate or crack. In case of an emergency where will I hide the girls, what will happen to the son, if India is cut off from the Nepal?
My mind was racing fast, within the few minutes of ad break; I created a war, put our family in danger and designed 100 methods to come out of it safely. I felt dejected that I did not enjoy the jewelry I brought in the recent times; I wish I wore it on few occasions. I created situations of joy and disaster. I was hopeless and then hopeful.
Meanwhile the ad break was over and the mitr came on TV, he started the Bashan, he looked somber but determined...
I was sure he was going to break some bad news... I waited endlessly for him to blurt the actual message.
He then proudly said rs. 500 and rs. 1000 notes will be defunct from midnight. I picked up the intercom summoned the man immediately to my room. He came, heard the news and rushed back to his room to share the same with his team. All of them assembled in my room listening to modi, all of them secretly in their head started making various plans. One of the team members rushed with his atm card to withdraw the cash. Few people have this ability to react very fast.
But I was actually happy as the news I anticipated was worse than what he announced. It was like khoda pahad nikla chuha.
Then I realized I have some hard work to do in the next few days, all the cash I accumulated to make the payments on 9th and 10th is not legal tender anymore. I have to get them changed and it is a mammoth task.
The modi on the TV suddenly looked like a sadist to me; I felt he was taking pleasure in making that announcement. But then if it is good for our nation, our children, our families then let's do it, let us face it. Let us convert it. No big deal.
That evening I made multiple calls, received equal number of them. There was panic somewhere, joy at other place, and fear at another place.
For the next few days the only work we had was to convert the currency...
A lot many interesting learning’s came my way in the ensuing days...

No comments:

Post a Comment