Thursday, May 11, 2017

Reminiscences
I said goodbye to him at the hostel gate, and started the journey back home.
1992, march 4th Hyderabad.
Two and half decades ago, my daddy was in my place and I in the sons place.
Daddy came to see me before my intermediate final exams at the hostel. He brought me a new dress as gift to motivate me. He took me out for lunch after taking permission from the warden. During lunch we watched the India vs. Pakistan 1992 world cup match at the restaurant. Pakistan was trailing and we enjoyed every bit of it. After lunch he dropped me back at the hostel and bid goodbye at the gate, I was swallowing my tears, to make him feel good. I did not want to leave any sad aftertaste of our meeting for dad. They always believed that their daughter is a brave a girl, come what may she will withstand and face it, to emerge victorious. This faith actually shaped me into a strong individual. I never allowed them a peek into my pains and problems. No daughter would, I believe.
25.03.2017, BP koirala institute of health sciences, dharan.
I went along with him to drop him at the hostel. After dumping the luggage in his room we stepped out for lunch. He took me to one of the cleanest restaurants in the town. We ordered a pan pizza with extra spicy vegetable toppings and a chicken sizzler. 
The chef took a lot of time to dish them out, but the experience was worth the wait. I was impressed with the quality of food and suggested he eat at the same place during weekends. He said mom I chose this place because you are here with me, otherwise I cannot afford this for myself if I have to pay the bill. I payed the bill and then we left for the market to buy him a bicycle. He selected one but he wanted to come back with his friends in the evening after doing some more research on the product. He wanted to discuss it with the senior who was using it. I gave him the money for it.
I dropped him back at the hostel; he insisted I leave early and cross the border before evening.
I sat in the car, Bid him goodbye at the hostel gate, and started missing him much before I crossed the campus main gate.
My dad might have felt the same, every time he dropped me at the hostel.
Dear son you will be in my place one day.
I endured the pain to see happiness in my father's eyes, and I saw you doing the same today.
I did mistakes, but I never repeated them to not hurt my parents. I experimented, but never got addicted to anything. I enjoyed had loads of fun. But the goal was never out of sight.
Son I see you as a better person than me in everything you do and am so proud of you. I see you as my reflection, as my father's legacy, as my mother's extension.
Leaving this small piece of writing as a record for the next generation to dwell and explore their roots. Son when you grow into my place you can understand the essence of what you mean to me today. 
Good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment