Friday, July 13, 2018

THANKS TO THE DOCTORS

I am having palpitations for some time now, so I decided to meet the cardiologist who visits our place 3 days in a week and get an echocardiography done by him.
Everyday there is a news, of a friend, a relative, a social media contact, a celebrity getting diagnosed with a terminal illness. Listening to all this regularly made me a little sceptical about my health and the panic button got triggered in my head. I fixed an appointment with the cardiologist though the reception desk and paid the doctor consultation charges.
At the scan table the cardiologist asked me why are you  getting an echo done all of a sudden that too on a self-prescription. I said sir I guess my heart isn’t working properly these days, I become restless and the pulse goes up frequently, just check and let me know if it is ok?
After a couple of minutes of scanning he replied it is ok, it is not just a good heart but it is also a kind heart.
Those good words took away half of my ailments and I had a hearty laugh sleeping on that table.
But again, I persisted with the same question but sir why am i having these palpitations?

he said we Have palpitations because we are active, we work, we are agile nothing much to worry about it.
Anything which comes out of doctor’s mouth sound like a divine gospel, He gave me the confidence of being a normal healthy person within 10 minutes of meeting him, more power to our doctors who many times heal us psychologically with their positive reassurances.

I shared that before meeting him I was dreading a diagnosis of some major disease with a big complicated fashionable, difficult sounding name. these days every morning we wake up to some celebrity falling prey to a new rare kind of cancer, the recent being Irfan khan and Somali bendre. God heal them soon and help human race defeat the rebel cells called as cancer. I know god, you did not design these rebel cells, it is our lifestyle which is responsible for few cells in our body turning rebel and, its we who empower them to defeat us.

I shared with the doctor that anticipating some difficult uncurable disease I prepared 3 goodbye letters for the man, the teenage daughter and the son before just before entering his room. the doctor started giggling as we continued our chat. suddenly my doctor husband walked into the cubicle and asked how long will she  survive sir because I found a goodbye mail in my inbox just now, so I rushed in to check the seriousness of the disease!
I said sir look at the criosity, as soon as he received the mail he rushed into confirm my death date because in the mail I gave him permission to marry again after my death.
Now that the cat is belled, in your presence too I give him the permission to remarry on one precondition that his future wife will not touch my sarees and jewellery, he will have to preserve them for my bahu and beta.
The doctor said with a serious expression Mrs Reddy please come out of the illusion that after you are gone he will wait for your written or verbal permission to remarry. We all laughed at his serious comment.
The man said sir she writes us long mails even if she has a mild flu so we stopped taking her letters, mails and permissions seriously.
I said sir let me also tell you that god forbid I die and he marries again I assure you that his new wife cannot withstand few of his habits. She will divorce him within a week for his snoring … I can give this in writing. Maybe to defeat me she will tolerate it for a week, but on the 8th day she will walk out leaving behind her bag and baggage never to return.
Let us hypothetically assume that she survives the snoring episode too but how will she tolerate the noise in her bedroom up to 2 am every night. He with his dog and daughter will eat, talk and walk in and out of the room with all the lights on till 1 am.
You can check it yourself by giving us a surprise visit on any day at 1 am.
When we started making the new house I wanted to make separate bedrooms for both of us but dunia walon ke darr se I did not do that, so I allowed him in to my room but he brought with him his daughter his dog and whenever his son is in town he too will squeeze himself into the same space. every time they watch tv as if they have come from Somalia, as if they are seeing it for the first time in their life.
They act so starved that they will watch that disgusting Tribago add too with the same seriousness whereas the world cannot stand that fellow even for a single second.
My bedroom is like a mela till midnight every night, I guarantee you that this 3 people and their 1 dog is responsible for all my health problems.
You know last week he woke me up from sleep at midnight and said dekho dekho goal hua…Croatia or Russia have to win through penalty shootouts only now…. they sat tensed biting nails …after watching the penalty shootouts and the match was over I asked him which team Croatia was, the red or black, he angrily said ab tum so hi jao pls. I drifted back to sleep guessing which one might have been Croatia!
The doctor said not just your husband Mrs Reddy, even I sleep at 2 am every night, and FIFA happens once in 4 years so you should be liberal with the tv watching schedule and you too should enjoy the sport it is good for health.
I asked him seriously, sir is your wife too having tachycardia, he said yes yes, I am going to give you the same medicine which I gave her and she is perfectly ok now and allows me to stay awake till late in the night and watch the sport.
The man said sir please do that and thank you for counseling her that she has no major illness and it is normal to watch tv till late in the night.
I walked out of the room with the prescription thanking god that it wasn’t anything serious.
My heart goes out to the young mothers, wives, girls who are fighting terminal illnesses every day, using every breath with a lot of optimism.
I guess we all should be more thankful to everything we have today right now, because we actually don’t know how tomorrow is going to unravel itself. Which test is going to reveal what disease and cut short our journey with our beautiful families.
My prayers to sonali bendre and Irfan khans speed recovery.
Thanks to all the doctors who help us get back to good health with their knowledge, care, concern, wit and humour.

No comments:

Post a Comment