Friday, August 11, 2017

Daddy – My love for cricket.
1987 – World cup to 2017 champions trophy india vs. pak. 18/6/2017.
I was in class 6 or 7.
We were one of the few people in the colony to own a color TV.
Our living room was crowded, with children of all ages and uncles.
Kids were seated on a carpet specially laid for them on the floor. Most of them were boys, my brother’s friends from our colony and the neighboring colony too.
Uncles were all seated on the sofa and divan; dad arranged few folding chairs too in a row. The chairs were used both indoors and out indoors. Faded green color, rusted and corrugated in appearance, they filled every gap in the room. They appeared as interested as the living beings in cricket.
Mom was busy in the kitchen with her 2 assistants preparing snacks for around 40 of us. Dad was very demanding in food matters. He was a food connoisseur and a very good host. Mom wasn’t a great chef; he was very interfering in kitchen, actively giving her tips to enhance the taste of the food. She wasn’t very appreciative of his active participation in her domain. That evening too he read out a list of the items to be prepared and kept her engaged in the kitchen during the entire duration of match.
I was the daughter and not the wife, hence the privilege of sitting next to him in the hall in front of TV.
I was enjoying the festive atmosphere more than the match. In the second half while England was batting, all of them were cheering for Australia, boon and border were favorites and much heard names in school too. Dad explained every ball and every shot to me; he virtually walked me through the ground. My love for cricket was born on that day. Father was a champion during his days and brother too played a lot of good cricket. Wish he took up the sport seriously …. Dad made me keep an account of every ball and run by giving me a pen and book he divided a page into 2 columns, on the left hand side he made me write the number of balls remaining on the right hand side the number of runs required. To keep me engaged in the game he made me note down every run and ball.
When the match was over all of them were celebrating and I started discussing strategy of the game with dad. What England should have done to win the match…? MY LOVE FOR CRICKET WAS BORN ON THAT DAY , Through the game you introduced me to strategy making, to accounts, to planning, to success , to team work ……….. 
When I see the man and the daughter watch sports, I remember you so much dad, it’s a replay of our days together, you gave me love in different ways, you pampered me in uncommon ways…
I miss you dad, I wish I did a little more for you, watched a little more cricket with you, made you visit my home, watched cricket with you and my kids in my living room, wish they got a little more of you………. rest in peace dad, I promise to make every day of my life beautiful as a tribute to you, For this life is your blessing.………………….
_______________________________
Win tomorrows match for a billion people like my dad dear team INDIA 
2017 champions trophy final , india vs pakistan. 
18/06/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment