Monday, August 1, 2016

Ranting of a doctors wife

Ranting of a doctors wife
We work 7 days a week, the centre is open 7 days a week, there are 4 days in a year when the shutter is down. My radiologist husband can be found at work from 9 am to 11 pm on all days and on Sundays from 9 to 4 
So it's kind of a festive atmosphere at home from 4 on Sunday as we are together, a leisure luxury lunch is planned , children finish their activities to spend uninterrupted time with dad.
It's Sunday 3:45 pm at centre, I tell the guards to pull the lift up , lock the collapsible gates so that whoever is coming will know it's closed , I request the doctor to windup the work in next 15 minutes , he says yes yes last report..... I pack up shut down the server, staff is leaving one by one.... guards doctor and I are left .... doctor is also done he shuts down his machines, 3 of us lock all the rooms put off the ac's , I tell house keeping people to scrub the remaining area and leave .....
Doctor and I take the lift reach ground floor and send the lift up , they switch off the lift after that.
Swiftly we move towards parking , i notice a tensed husband wife walking towards lift...
I instantly sensed that they r patients , she is pregnant and they need immediate ultra sound , I was wishing that he should miss moticing them ... I realised I am the biggest fool.... he even guessed her problem, before I opened my mouth he approached them saying it's closed but let me see your papers.... as guessed it was an urgent USG her doctor suspecting that something is wrong and suggested immediate USG...
I was waiting for him to tell them to come on monday morning , as everything is shutdown and staff left..... no instead he called the guard asked for the lift, 2 couples travelled by the lift, the patient couple with tension , the doctor lost himself in Her prescription and guessing the diagnosis, I was angry hungry and a lot of furious emotions....,
The guard unlocks the rooms, as there r no assistants I prepare the patient, he switches on the ac , the ups and then the usg machine.... her husband is called in, the doctor with all patience on the earth takes extra time for USG, I realised this is more than the normal time, so maybe something complicated.... I wait n wait... at last it's over..... he writes a hand written and gives them a folder with the film and hand written report and instruct them to meet their doctor immediately with the report, I give them a handwritten bill as server is shut down it was not possible to take a printed copy of the same, they make the payment and leave with mixed feelings....but there was not even a single thank you from them for opening the centre ...my husband justified saying they r lost in their own problems and his wife needs immediate surgery .. I said even then minimum courtesy .... he said chodo, bahot bhook lagra ha hai...Let's go, we go thru the process of locking cr room usg room ...shutting down everything and reach home by 5 pm, children cribbing you people never come home on time, you always fail to keep promises, we all enjoy our lunch , go for a walk and then a movie, bas the Sunday is done...
Monday morning
Mondays are always busy days and it was a nice sunny morning in rainy season, so it was packed with patients from far away places..... usg room 2 beds are full and 2 doctors r continuously doing ultrasonographys. 
At 12 pm the last evenings patient arrives , to collect the typed report and printed bill.... the reception gives printed bill, but the typed report is not ready, as doctors are busy since morning attending to other emergency empty stomach, full bladder ðŸ˜ƒ
Patients..... this patient waits for another 30 minutes , meanwhile doctor wrote his report and it is getting typed, it's almost typed, but as doctor is doing another usg they are waiting for his sign on the report....
Meanwhile this patient looses his cool and starts shouting that I have been waiting for 45 minutes my test is done y day evening report is not ready yet , you people r not disciplined, your system is not
correct, you harass patients.....
I was watching the same in my room via cctv, I go to the reception I tell him sir another 5 minutes your report will be ready, he shouts at me, you told me to collect the report in the afternoon I am waiting here since last 1 hour (exaggeration) , sir but last evening we went out of the way to help you, he said so what u did not do it for free, you charged me the fees , you did not give me any discount either, I said I could have charged you emergency fees which I dint... for which he said u don't know who you are talking ..... meanwhile doctor comes out(he could hear all the noise ) with the report, he asks about his wife ... and tells him to take care of her and the patient leaves once without even a athank you ..... I follow my husband and ask him these are the people on whom you have been wasting our Sundays... he said don't make fuss out of a small incident....we will discuss this later, let's get back to work.....
A doctor has his own dilemmas, families have their own...
In the evening at dinner I ask him, u have done this to us so many times, why do you ?
He said you heard people praising me so many times For my right diagnosis at right time, which saved their lives , how did you feel then.... I said i felt great..... he said that's what keeps me motivated to help again n again..... I said what about us then.???.. he said you know the answer , and u have been a good cooperative wife, you know the importance of saving a life..... few thankless patients shouldn't deter us from our principles...
I continue eating he is lost in reading the newspaper for the second time in the day....was he praising me, motivating me , or rebuked me...whatever .... one thing is sure he knows the art of getting his work done, silently without hurting anyone....
POOR SILLY DOCTORS, FEW GOOD WORDS FROM THE PATIENTS AND THEY WOULD GO AND ON.... BUT THE SOCIETY IS YET TO RECOGNISE THEIR SELFLESS SERVICE.... AND USE 2 GOOD WORDS OF THANK YOU FOR THEM......
HAPPY DOCTORS DAY.....

No comments:

Post a Comment