Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The man was teasing me today that I became Leo's photographer and , everything he does is novel to me .
Our first child was born when we completed our studies and we were on our first job, after his birth with all our savings we purchased a camera and a roll with 36 shots in it. We used one roll for more than 2 months clicking pics of the most precious moments only, careful enough to not waste even a single shot. He never had a pram , so he was always in our arms, diapers were very expensive we used them only on an outing, for all the days and nights he was wrapped in comfortable cotton nappies. We took turns in reading him books, telling him stories, explaining a lot of science and religion, assembling and dissembling his toy sets, playing scramble, doing drawings,, I used to take him in lap and make doshs, make him sit on kitchen platform and roll rotis, chop vegetables etc. He used to ask me a lot of questions as he had me around him all the time. He got our quality time and attention but I used to feel guilty of not giving him the best of everything in comparison to his Contemporaries.
The daughter came six and half years later and we were well settled in our work by then we could afford to buy her all the material comforts which we couldn't for the son. She got the pram, digital camera, camcorder 📹,, 24 hour diapers, automatic toys, a dedicated maid only to take care of her and play with her.
I thought I was giving her a better life but now in the hindsight I question myself did I do the right thing? I feel guilty of depriving her of our time and attention.
Leo came 2 decades later, from day 1 he has a servant for himself, a designer kennel with special electric fittings, eats the most expensive food, his monthly medical bill is very high, he has the best of toys and clothes, even now I feel guilty when people say that I am spoiling him with comforts, time and excessive attention.
The son while going back to hostel today held Leo and said, you idiot you are growing up in more luxury than I could ever imagine for Myself at your age. The daughter is scornful at leo once in a day that he gets more of daddy's attention than her.
‌ were we the happiest in our early days of family life? If we carefully analyze, the Wealth and material possessions have become a liability . We buy big cars and spend a fortune in paying emis and insurance premiums, buy a diamond set spend more resources in safe guarding it, build a bungalow and work extra hours to take care of the maintenence needs.
Are the comforts enslaving us and putting us in a vicious circle? are we the masters or the slaves of our material possessions?
I don't know the answers, did we handle the responsibilities well, are we good parents, good children, good friends and good investors
I don't know, have to wait till the end to know the answers..

No comments:

Post a Comment